Jethabhai’s Vav / Jethabhai’s Stepwell
Jethabhai’s Stepwell or Jethabhai ni Vav, is a stepwell in Isanpur area of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
History and Architecture
James Burgess wrote in 1905 in the Archaeological Survey of Western India, volume VIII, “two and a half miles south of Ahmadabad, near Isanpur. perhaps one of the most modern examples of the regular vav[step well]. It was constructed little more than forty years ago by the late Jethabhai Jivanlal Nagjibhai (or Mulji) of Ahmadabad. To obtain the materials, he purchased from the holder of Shah Alam the rauza belonging to a masjid known as that of Malik Alam…and from the late Qazi Hasan-ud-din of Ahmadabad he bought the Nenpurvada masjid at Rajapur-Hirpur together with its accompanying rauza. These were pulled down by the Hindu purchaser and the materials used in the construction of this well and in putting up a portico to his temple in the Shaherkotda suburb. In the ornamentation of the well one of the mihrabs of the mosque has evidently been utilized. This vav. is 210 feet (64 m) in length and from 21 to 22 feet (6.4 to 6.7 m) wide, with a dome raised on twelve pillars on the entrance at the west end. It has the usual descents from platform or gallery to gallery.” The stepwell was built by Jethabhai around 1860s. It has four pavilions and the entrance pavilion is canopied.
Jethabhai’s Stepwell, Isanpur Flyover, Paras Nagar, Isanpur, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380050